The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government’s (MHCLG) has published (27 November 2020) an updated version of its guidance document for agents, landlords and tenants setting out advice and information aimed at the private and social rented sector (PRS).
This guide applies to England only but there are some measures in the guide which also apply in Wales.
This is non-statutory guidance for agents, landlords and tenants in the private and social rented sectors which includes among other issues:
- Measures relating to notices seeking possession as amended by the Coronavirus Act 2020
- Health and safety obligations, repairs and inspections in the context of coronavirus (COVID-19)
The guidance is advisory and informs about recent changes to the law. All of this guidance is subject to frequent updates and should be checked regularly for currency.
National restrictions were in force in England until the beginning of the day on 2 December.
Following the national restrictions, the tiers of local restrictions have returned. See guidance on the local restriction tiers.
The guide covers landlord and issues which may arise during the Covid-19 outbreak including:
- What to do about rent arrears
- Advice around carrying out emergency repairs, access
- Information on re-letting, property viewings and moves
- Mortgage payments
- Tenancy Deposits
- Client Money Protection
- Anti-social behaviour
- Dispute resolution and mediation
- Serving notices
- Possession claims and evictions, etc.
The government is urging all agents, landlords and tenants to abide by this latest government guidance on COVID-19.